Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Get me out of here!

Today was HELL. My son is sick and I am trying to meet a deadline at work (which for me is working form home watching a sick kid). The weather is PERFECT and it is supposed to rain and get crappy out for the rest of the week. I need to get outside!
Finally my boy appears to be feeling better, and he too enjoys getting out of the house, so we decided to escape with an evening ride on the Mill Creek trail system with our pal Matt. These are paved trails mind you, but we know how to spice things up. First off, I wore blue jeans for added friction and drag. Second, I pulled my son in the bike trailer (40lbs). Third, I was on my trusty single speed bike. Fourth, these trails, heading south from Midland Drive into Shawnee Mission Park, have some crazy-steep and shall I say 'painful' hills to climb. I can't remember ever going that slow up a hill without puking my guts out.
We rode for a few hours and all was grand. Just what was needed at the end of a super-long-ass work day. When we got back to the house, Matt showed us his skills in the backyard by riding the newly built skinny, several times, with no blood shed. Nice riding Matt!
Today it is raining, pouring and dumping tons of water all over the place. No trail riding for a while. Maybe it's time for me to look into one of these...

No comments: