Monday, February 16, 2009

Downward Bound

So the weekend was a bust...at least the big 'V' day. I was totally sick and lonely as my sweetie headed out to do family stuff while I laid around feeling sorry for myself. I had high hopes to accomplish something...anything. As I stirred about the house, oh so crazy-bored, I decide I had to get the heck outside and move around a bit. I sometimes take walks in my backyard and try to come up with new ideas for the mini- trail. Today I had the bright idea to try and bring down a large tree that had fallen into an even larger tree during one of those classic Kansas City thunderstorms last fall. This puppy was huge, a lunker for sure. I had my doubts that I could do this feat without ending up as the wicked witch did in The Wizard of Oz, stiff and cold with only my shoes to show for my courageous attempt, but I was determined to make some art. I dawned my chainsaw and went to work, carefully de-branching the beast limb-by-limb. As I minimized the weight of the canopy I could see some real possibilities for a sweet skinny addition to the trail, not only with one fine line, but two; a fork midway with a smaller branch would make this puppy double-the-money! It was down to the last cut. I had her almost on the dirt when 'Kaboom', I lost my chain. I headed to the garage to work my magic, only to find that the chain had been destroyed in the battle. One man down. I still have great hopes to finish the tree skinny project, but for now, here she lays...

After my wife 'did herself some yoga', which is what she does at least one of the weekend days, we (Seamus and Kelly and I) headed to Lawrence to do a bit of window shopping. We had a great lunch at Zen Zero on Mass St. and visited some interesting stores. Seamus won the prize with some new kicks (sweet toddler tennis shoes) while I downed a nice double decker ice cream cone and Kelly got hooked-up with some new slacks. We love walking on Mass St. This is one of many fun signs we witnessed along the way...

This pretty much sums up my morning life right here!

No comments: