Monday, June 15, 2009

Chub-a-bubba...

With the Help of Travis @ BikeSource, The Podium 29er Single Speed Machine is a runner. I got out on a great solo ride at the most kick-ass trails in KC over the weekend to give her a test. Photos of the complete build will be posted soon, but for now I am wanting to show off the sweet wheel set that Dale built for me last week.
What we have here are the Chub Single Speed Disc hubs mentioned in a previous post, laced 3-cross with double-butted DT Swiss Competition spokes to a Stans Arch 29er rims. For rubber I went with the ever-trustworthy and bomb-proof Specialized 'The Captain" Armadillo Elite, set-up tubeless (2.2 up front and 2.0 in the rear). For drive train I have a White Industries 18t ENO freewheel and the matching 32t crank set up front with a SRAM 8-speed chain (Hands down the best chain for SS'ing).
Overall these are a pretty feather-weight set of wheels considering they are built to withstand maximum impact. They performed flawlessly over the aggressive terrain at Swope, and I am psyched to get these babies out and stack-on some miles this summer. I can't say enough great things about this wheel set, not to mention the constant 'I can't believe how BIG those hubs are" or "Man, Those are lite!".

No comments: