Great things have happened in the world of Cyclocross here in the Kansas City Metro Area. The City of Shawnee has allowed construction of a Cyclocross Training Course at the Shawnee Riverfront Park, a park that is otherwise undeveloped - with great views and the feel of being in the middle of nowhere.
How awesome is it that you cyclocross maniacs can actually train ON a CX course, and not only the road or a trainer? This is a great opportunity for the cycling community and we are totally psyched to make this happen, for YOU.
|Course Map - 2012|
Riverfront Cyclocross Blog - Click HERE
- The Course is open during normal posted park hours (daylight - 10 p.m.).
- See the maps below for directions.
- DO NOT park on the Levee.
- DO NOT park in the fields.
- Please use the designated parking area
- Pack out your trash, there are no ammenites at this park. Help keep the CX course open and the park clean.
- The course runs CLOCKWISE.
- Course starts ON the Levee at an orange wooden stake (above the parking area)
- Group rides and mock training races are allowed, please coordinate events with me at singlespeedpirate @gmail.com
- DO NOT alter the course.
- Open rain or shine.
- Course Length is 2.3 miles.
- Obstacles - Stairs/Barrier/Steep Descent/Steep Ups n Downs.
- Course is very fast.
|Driving Directions from K-7, just South of the Kansas River Bridge|
|Area Locator Map|
Hope to see you out there training your a$$ off and killing it at all CX races this season. Speacial thanks to the City of Shawnee Park Board for giving us this opportunity. Enjoy!
There have been multiple Goat-Head sightings on the course. These little boogers can cause a flat if you run tubes or tubulars. We recommend running Tubeless tires for the time being while we address the goat-head situation. The course is still OPEN, so feel free to go and ride. I'll be riding my Mountain Bike for now, with hopes of getting the course burnt-in, smoothed and cleared of the goat heads. Spread the word. Hope to see you out riding, we've worked too hard to get this course going to turn back now. Cheers!