Saturday, March 7, 2009

Devil's Revenge Mountain Bike Race...

Everything lately has been weather dependant, and those registered for the Devils Revenge Duathlon and Mountain Bike Race came out in the clear...barely. Thunderstorms were to arrive race day but the course was in el-perfecto condition. I raced the Single Speed event and had a blast. Twenty-six riders raced at the same time, and going into the first lap I was feeling strong. About a mile in I had just passed two riders when I lost my chain. I pulled to the side and watched as one after another, riders just passed me by; every rider. My chain was totally wedged between my freewheel and my frame. It took me probably five minutes to get that sucker yanked free. By then I was in last place. I was psyched to get-r-done as they say and I took off with the mindset that I could make up the time. I was passing people constantly. Passing just makes you feel stronger. If I would come up on another single speed rider, it was my goal to pass them and get out of there fast. About three miles from the finish I was in third position and feeling good when all of a sudden I wrecked hard on a rocky uphill climb that most riders were walking. I had sent this hill on my previous lap so I was going for it. I hit a rock and just stopped, fell and tumbled down hill, about 15 feet off the trail. Unhurt, I tried to get back and riding as three Single Speed riders passed, bumping me into sixth position. With only a mile or two to go, I fought hard to regain fifth position and was going head to head all the way to the finish. This was a great first race of the season for me and definitely got my mind in the game. I feel pretty good having passed 14 riders after loosing my chain. I guess there is always next time...and that will be next weekend at the Bone Bender 3/6!!!
The man himself, Cameron Chambers brought home the win in the Duathlon. Congrats Cameron!!!
Here is a great shot of my pal Mason mid-crash during the race. Mason did a fine job in his first Single Speed race of the season!

No comments: