Sunday, May 8, 2011

Modifreakation...

I've had a fair bit of trouble finding a replacement for my broken Rock Lobster frame. I've been through a few frames and have not found anything I love. Now it's come the time to take my old Gunnar Ruffian frame, which is rim-brake only and convert it over to the disc brake world.  I am fortunate to have friends in KC that can do just this sort of work, so on Saturday I headed over to Possun's casa with twelve IPA's and the Gunnar to see what kind of magic he could work to get this sucker up-to-date. Just as I had assumed, Possun was able to get things dialed-in and fillet brazed in no time. I now have an old school steel frame that I can run new-school brakes on. This bike had been my devoted winter fixed gear, but now I have plans for this old friend to become my new 26" Singlespeed workhorse.

Fitting the Disc Brake Mount and Bracing
Brazing

Fillet Brazed, pre-finish work.
Ready to build-up and ride!...
Now I just have to be patient enough to paint the frame up right...instead of just rolling with her half-assed and ugly. Maybe ugly is better? Hmmm...
Mad props to Possun for his quality work and for sharing some hoppy beverages while I watched. Psyched!

1 comment:

Raineman said...

Nice work! That is awesome...

Possum is a cool dude too...

Right on!