Friday, July 27, 2012

MonsterCX...

I can't get the whole MonsterCX thing out of my mind. I prefer to ride trail, but when commuting I just cannot get a grasp for the skinny tire thing, that and I need a winter bike. High PSI, rigid death grip feeling and uncomfortableness is far from attractive (skinny tires blow ass). So once again, I am going to sell my 2012 Specialized Tricross Elite Disc and go another, less expensive, more ghetto route to get me to/from work and possibly to race CX a few times over the winter. I'd also like to see some MonsterCX and Fatbike racing this winter, and have a feeling that the folks over at Pirate cXc will make something happen in that department.
I've got two frames at my disposal, two forks and a crud-load of parts to build something up from. Shall I go with the Surly Karate Monkey or the Kona Unit? I'm thinking the Monkey, as it has a shorter top tube which will allow the use of the Midge Dirt Drops to work out better. And for forks, I've got a Waltworks Custom segmented steel and a Niner carbon. Both really nice forks, but I am leaning towards the Niner, hoping for some vibration dampening and something to match my good looks. 
Perusing the interweb, I found a few good looking MonsterCX rigs out there, and one commuter style that cought my eye. The ideas just keep pouring in. This will be yet another fun build...
 

1 comment:

White Mike said...

Surly Krampus my dude! That would hit all angles for you and be the funnest out of them all. Stop by Volker and get your order in because they will sell out fast!