Thursday, February 24, 2011

Advantage Taken...

It seems as of late all I do is complain about the crap riding weather we've had for months. Well, the past few days have been a joy, due to some nice weather and dry trail. Now I'm not saying that every trail in KC is good to go, not even close. None of the local trails are actually dry...with the exception of my backyard skills trial and a secret trail that Shoffner and I got to rip apart on a beautifully perfect Spring-like day. Really it was a great day; Sunny, warm, dry trail, 12 pack of PBR, candy bar and my fixed gear. Zoom Zoom.

Of course there is always the bad. For example; Shoffner is headed to Austin Texas tomorrow for the Hand built Bike Show and some riding.  He, of course, toasts both bearings in his front hub (he was going that fast!). This is also his only wheel set, so he is screwed.. the day before a road trip. Bummer for him, the bearings in his Chub Hub are hard to find locally, and with no time there's no hope. Enter Burnsey "Hey man, you can borrow my 29er front wheel for your trip".  I hope he has a killer time down in Texas.

Upon returning to my casa, we spent a good half hour turning laps on the skills stuff. The loop will really get you breathing hard! The MTBJunkie and Dirtbag stopped by and tested their skills for a good hour and a half or so. It was good to see some more experienced freeride guys out on those fancy 'motorcycles w/o engines' ripping it up on the skinnies. They also were hitting a few obstacles differently than I had ever done, which is awesome and gives me more ideas on what potential the backyard trail has to offer.

So long story short; Dry trail ride; check. Skills ride; Check. Beers and Fun; Check.

For those pussies out there who did not take me up on my offer to ride dry trail - It's raining, sleeting AND snowing... bitches! Bet your thinking "shoulda, coulda, woulda"...

Maybe next time...

No comments: