Sunday, February 5, 2012

In-CRED-ible...

It happened, StreetcredKC Race No.1 , Tough Guy Alley Cat. Though I should not be riding yet due to a knee injury, I couldn't help but go out and support local racing. Not only was it just a race, but a helluva fun time riding around in the city while being pelted by moisture and cold temps. That followed by snacks, free beer and a warm place to consume both makes for a good day.
My first intentions were simply to come out and heckle riders, do beer hand-ups and spectate. Once I arrived I couldn't help but break out the two wheeled monster truck (I was the lone guy on a fat tire bike) and get to riding. It was game on, we had the instructions for the event and it looked like a scavenger hunt style point-to-point race. I have not lived IN the city for years. My knowledge of streets and getting around pretty much sucked as far as the race goes. I just tried to keep up.

Did I  mention the stairs? I think we climbed like 3,469* stairs.
I did however have a few notable experiences; First I met some fun folks to ride with. Second, Chasm and his better half are back in KC, that's a great thing for fun on bikes. Third, I was able to ride, even with a gimp knee. Fourth, I did the longest, scariest skinny I've ever done (the concrete barrier on the Tracy bridge over 71 hwy). My ass was so puckered during that 100 yards of concrete death that I almost threw-up in my mouth. Fifth, I got way lost from the group and ended up at the Liberty Memorial riding the sweet stone ramps along the stairs. And Sixth, well, It was fun, I was on my bike and there was free beer. I never turned-in my sheet post race, so I'm pretty sure, per the norm for me at StreetcredKC, I probably earned DFL. Hell, I got lost, chased by security guards and barely made it back to Volker alive. Enough said.
Hope to see all of you jerks at the next StreetcredKC - Urban Cross. SAME day as The Howling. YES, this means all the best of the best will be double-dipping in pavement and dirt racing, all in the same day. Get some!

No comments: